Santiago ‘Caflosknight’

Hi everyone!

First and foremost, please let me apologize for last week’s lack of updates. I had to attend to a funeral for a very dear one for me, and sincerely I was not in the mood of writing here. However, once the mourning has passed, let’s get back on track with something unsual.

This last weekend my Infinity partner and friend Caflos had his 30th birthday. I was tasked by his girlfriend to make some gifts for that day: A helmet and tabard of a Santiago Knight, his favourite order in his Military Orders army which he always plays. I’ve never tried to do a cosplay helmet before, so I tackeld it as a challenge to learn something new. This is a concept picture of that kind of knight:

Santiago knight concept, the only one with a “squid helmet” in the whole army.

First and foremost, I had to learn how and with what to do the base form for the helmet. Lucky me, the Internet is full of information on this topic, and almost everyone recommended using EVA foam for the base material. Also, I found a helmet blueprint which suited my needs while watching this video. The blueprints are there for free to download also:

Dali DIY – Power Ranger helmet

I had my mind set, had the materials, I just had to get on with it. If you’re remotely interested on doing a task like this, please take into account these three tips:

  1. Everyone says that using a cutter is the best way to cut EVA foam, but I realized that scissors get a much smoother edge.
  2. Use liquid silicone as glue for the pieces. It takes like ages to dry, but once glued is solid yet flexible enough for this task. Just be patient with it.
  3. Use a regular hair drier on each piece you want to bend. Heat helps “softening” the foam to help it keep the shape. It also seals the fom for painting purposes.

First thing needed to do was the helmet base layer:

If anyone tells you marking the eyes’ position blinded is easy, they’re liying.

With the base shape glued together, I cut some sloppy holes for the eyes (later I realized those wouldn’t  be needed because of the frontal plate) and started gluing all the pieces togeder, leaving unglued only those which would have visor glued afterwards, by using a red cellophane sheet to look like glass:

Tip: Have a vacuum cleaner nearby. You don’t know how many shavings of foam I had to sweep.

On the next picture I had the helmet almost done, only the finer detail remained:

By doing this helmet one realizes how much the “manga anatomy” differs from real human anatomy.

Once finished, I primed the helmet so further layers of paint had an easier time to hold together. I whole heartedly recommend using acrylic paint, as it has some inherent flexibility to avoid it cracking afterwards:

Shameless covert advertising of where did I purchase all my paint pots for this.

After some (quite a lot) of layers of paint, the job was done. Along with the helmet, I grabbed a sheet of black fabric my mother was not using, and with some red clothing paint, I did a simple tabard:

Tip: Remember to remove dog fur before taking the picture, not after.

Everything was done, but Caflos was not going to wear this costume just like that. He had to endure an Infinity themed gymkhana with friends and all, but much like on the gaming boards, Caflos is a honored and devout man, and he managed to be knighted as a Knight of Santiago:

We already lost track of how many beers we had at that time.

And that’s all of today’s post. I hope you found it amusing, as for me it was a challenge to step out of my confort zone to learn something unknown. I’ve learnt from my (many) mistakes I made so I can tackle with ease future cosplay projects. As allways, I thank your supporting words and hope to hear from any of you.

‘Till next time!

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WP Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com